Friday, September 12, 2008

The things we don't realize

The other night I got a text message that I was definitely not expecting. My bishop from my last ward sent me a text message that said "I hope you're studying and not partying at this late hour. We all miss you. Keep the faith." Messages from back home have helped me recognize how much I meant to people. As I get a message from my mom or dad, or from my grandparents saying how they don't get to see me anymore, I realize that I mean as much to them as they do to me.

Perhaps it's one of my idiosyncrasies, but I think it is fairly common for all of us to see those who surround us and be grateful for their presence and influence in our lives without recognizing that we, too, are influences on their lives. Bishop Call helped me so much and was a great leader and friend while I was in Pleasant Grove, I miss him dearly. The thought had never really occurred to me that he would miss me. My grandparents opened their home to me and provided for everything I could possibly need and then some, they gave me a home while I was at school and did more for me than I could ever express. I know they love me, but for some reason I never thought that they could miss me like I miss them. In a strange way, moving away from all of my friends and family has been great for me, not only because I am meeting new friends but also because I'm better able to recognize how much the old ones really mean. I'm also beginning to see how much I mean to them, and that's a good feeling. I'm so glad that despite myself people like having me around, and were grateful for me.

I had a meeting with my bishop last night. When I went in to talk to him, he said "I've met you, we talked for quite a while on Saturday" and I just smiled and nodded and we talked about Daniel, the executive secretary for a bit. You see, Daniel wants the bishop to meet all the members of the ward and so he sets up these appointments for "get to know you" meetings with the bishop, but it confuses the bishop because sometimes he has these meetings with members of the ward who he knows quite well. It was good to chat with him for a while and get his perspective on things, he was a practicing attorney for quite a while before he decided to change careers, but he knows what the law school experience is like so that's nice to have. School continues to go well and we finally got the first part to getting Internet set up at our house ready to go and my car is finally fixed! Big accomplishments, now I just have to try and get reimbursed for some of my car rentals - that should be fun, but the biggest headaches are out of the way.

Oh, and since I haven't done it yet this week - here's what I look like now, so you don't forget! Ha ha.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You're crazy! I love you! And we miss you much!!! It just isn't the same. Hiro, Posh and Fifa say hello.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture Ike! You're a hottie!

...HEY LADY